oscus teacher

Este blog quiere ser un punto de encuentro para reforzar la experiencia del aula en la materia de Inglés.



lunes, 17 de noviembre de 2014

B-2 unit 2 - MODALS (II)



MIGHT = podría

- possibility
I think they might win the league
Creo que podrían ganar la liga.
I think we might have the exam tomorrow
Creo que podríamos tener el examen mañana

- speculation
there might be a problem with the hard drive
puede que haya un problema con el disco duro

MUST = deber

- obligation
you must work harder if you want to pass
debes estudiar más duro si quieres aprobar

- prohibition ( in the negative form)
you must not copy during the exam
you must not drink alcohol if you are a child

- deduction (in the positive form)
Byron is not in class, he must have slept.

HAVE TO = tener que…
- obligation
when you are in a hotel, you have to check out before twelve o’clock

- absence of obligation (in the negative form)
you do not have to send me the mail, I know you do the exercises.
No tienes que enviarme el correo electrónico, sé que haces los ejercicios.

NEED = necesitar

- necesidad
Do you need my help?
¿necesitas mi ayuda?

- ausencia de obligación (en negativa)
you needn’t wait for me if you are in a hurry
no necesitas esperarme si tienes prisa

SHOULD / OUGHT TO = debería

- consejo (advice)
you should speak less
you ought to speak less

- obligación moral (moral obligation)
if you find Xabi’s wallet you should give it back to him
si encuentras la cartera de Xabi deberías devolvérsela

- crítica de acciones pasadas (criticism of past actions)
Oihane ought to have offered me her book because I don’t have it yet
Oihane debería haberme ofrecido su libro porque todavía no lo tengo


SHALL

- offers (ofrecimientos)
Shall I open the window?

- suggestions (sugerencias)
Where shall we have a coffee?

- making decisions
I shall call your parents tomorrow.
Llamaré a tus padres mañana.

WOULD (-ía)

- peticiones amables
Would you give me the dictionary, please?
¿me darías el diccionario, por favor?

- offers
Would you like to come with me to the cinema?
Te gustaría venir al cine conmigo?