oscus teacher

Este blog quiere ser un punto de encuentro para reforzar la experiencia del aula en la materia de Inglés.



martes, 29 de octubre de 2013

ejemplos MODAL VERBS unit 2

CAN

a)     posibilidad
 You can go if you want

b)     habilidad
I can play the guitar

c)      permiso
 Can I go to the toilet?

d)     deducción (negativa)
 That exercise cannot be right

e)     “be able to” (en tiempos verbales que no se puede utilizar "can")
I will not be able to play football for three weeks

COULD

a)     habilidad en pasado
She could swim faster when she was young

b)     peticiones educadas
Could you open the door, please?

c)      imposibilidad en pasado
They could not win the match yesterday

d)     especulación
There is a book on the floor, it could be yours.

e)     sugerencias
You could study more and work harder

f)       en “reported speech”
He told us he could come with us

g)     críticas
you could have washed the dishes!

BE ABLE TO

(ser capaz de algo) = una acción que finalmente se puede hacer como resultado de algo. (sustituye a "can" en los tiempos verbales en los que no se utiliza)
I was able to travel around the world because I won the lottery

MAY

a)     petición
May  I start the exam?

b)     permiso
May I use your dictionary? 

c)      posibilidad
We may have an exam tomorrow 

d)     especulación
It may be the solution to your problem

MIGHT

a)     posibilidad
He thinks we might fail

b)     especulación
The engine might be broken

MUST

a)     obligación
You must arrive early

b)     prohibición (en negativa)
Children must not drink alcohol

c)      deducción (en afirmativa)
He is not here, he must have left

HAVE TO

a)     obligación
In our hotel you have to leave the room before twelve o'clock

b)     (negativa) ausencia de obligación
You do not have to send the composition by mail

NEED

a)     necesidad
I need some money to pay the bill

b)     (negativa) ausencia de obligación
You need not come with us

SHOULD / OUGHT TO

a)     consejos
 You should speak with her if she is angry


b)     obligaciones morales
 the money is yours, he should give it to you


c)      crítica en acciones pasadas
You should have spoken less and worked more in class

WILL (FUTURO SIMPLE)

I will go to the museum next Thursday

SHALL

a)     ofrecimientos
Shall I buy it for you?

b)     sugerencias
Shall we have lunck at the italian restaurant?

c)      tomar decisiones
I shall call my parents tomorrow

WOULD

a)     peticiones educadas
Would you give me that box?

b)     ofrecimientos
Would you like to go out with me?

USED TO / WOULD

a)     rutinas en pasado
We used to swim in the river when we were children

b)     situaciones pasadas
I used to be a football player before I became a teacher

c)      hábitos pasados (no estados)
We used to do our homework, but now we don't